Today is International Women’s Day and this weekend we turn our clocks ahead for spring. I think that should mean we take today to add an hour to our day and do something special for ourselves before we lose that hour of sleep Sunday. What do you do to make up for the lost sleep when we turn our clocks ahead, (unless you live in Arizona and don’t go along with the rest of the country)?
Before you lose that hour of sleep here’s my Friday Favorites for this week along with some humorous quotes about women.
In Honor of International Women’s Day
- There is so much pressure to be perfect from society. To quiet the negative images one woman went so far as to cover her bathroom mirror with art, find out how she learned to accept and find the positives in herself here.
- Sometimes a picture can tell an entire story of love. This picture says it all.
- Bethany tells us why she doesn’t dye her hair, we should all be so content.
There are no good girls gone wrong – just bad girls found out. ~~ Mae West
- I have recently started using coconut oil for my skin and found this site which has so many more uses for coconut oil than I could ever have dreamed up.
You educate a man, you educate a man. You educate a woman, you educate a generation. ~~ Bringham Young
- Do you have plenty of paint sticks accumulating after a few too many paint projects? Here are several ideas for what to do with those paint sticks, my favorite is the table top created with them.
- I have seen plenty of projects over the years using old jeans, but this one is by far the most unusual. I don’t know why I am surprised as denim is a very strong and long-lasting product. The best part….the entire project is the result of a dog chewing up the original.
- Have an old tank top that has a little too much wear, why not make a clothes pin bag from it?
- What can you do with your wedding dress other than bag it and keep it in storage? Find out what Katherine was asked to do with a wedding dress, this is so much better than it taking up storage space and shares the love.
- What do you do when you oven dies? Well you get a new one. Did you ever think about saving the racks for art? Daniela, at Frugal Ain’t Cheap shows just how easy this is. If you scroll down a bit you will also see several more items that were repurposed into beautiful and functional items.
Here’s all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is because men are stupid. ~~ George Carlin, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops
- Without an oven I am always looking for no-bake solutions to satisfy my sweet tooth. These no-bake chocolate covered granola bars hit the spot and the little ones love them too.
- Not the healthiest dessert I’ve ever tried but this No-bake Nutella cheesecakes are delicious. Can you tell I have a thing about chocolate. I try really, really hard to avoid it, but sometimes you just have to give in and enjoy.
- Now for something healthy. My Sister’s Pantry shares a delicious slow cooker burrito recipe.Food is probably the most important thing to consider when considering where to start with your health.
- Do you love your slow cooker like I do? Here is a delicious baked potato soup made just for the slow cooker.
- I have fond memories of hanging out with my friends during my high school years and enjoying an Orange Julius drink. I never thought about making one myself until I saw this recipe from DIY Confessions using whole foods like oranges and bananas to make one. Can’t wait for summer to introduce these to the little ones.
What would men be without women? Scarce, sir…..mighty scarce. ~~Mark Twain
- Down to Earth Digs is offering to send 10 people a package of her heirloom seeds for your garden. Hurry you must comment on why you garden, or a gardening tip by March 9th to be eligible. I know I am adding to the competition for these seeds, but that’s okay the more the merrier
- I have been contemplating a few ways of being able to move my garden beds should my apartment building sell and the new owners decide to use the field to expand. Christine at Slow Living Essentials has one idea that might just do the trick.
- Do you think you have too little land to grow all your own food? I recently found the Urban Homestead where on 1/4 of an acre this family grows over 6,000 pounds of their own food. They raise chickens, ducks, bees and even goats on that small plot of land.
- Last year was the first year in just over 10 years I was able to start a garden. My needs have changed as well over that time. I was happy to find this example, from Poppy, of just how much seed one family needs to have a good supply of fresh food available.
When a man gives his opinion, he’s a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she’s a bitch. ~~Bette Davis
Things We Need To Know
- The Good Human shared a link to Sourcemap this week. This is a free site which will allow you to find out where your products are made from. I was surprised at how many countries contribute to the making of one small product, but unfortunately not surprised where some are made.
Better to be strong than pretty and useless. ~~Lilith Saintcrow, Strange Angels
- I loved this article on Radical Simplicity and sustainability.
- Have you ever pictured what it would look like to live in a shed? I know you are shaking your head at me, but to be serious a moment, when I first thought about a temporary home in a shed I pictured a pretty bland and sad-looking space. I mean it is only temporary. That was until I saw these pictures of what a homey space this family created at Little Eco Footprints. Of course it hasn’t been all fun and games, there have been quite a few dangerous moments as well.
The trouble about some women is that they get all excited about nothing – then they marry him. ~~ Cher
No Cost Fun For The Child In All Of Us
- This could fall under the heading of repurposing, but it’s too fun to put with other repurposing ideas it needed a category all its own, (now I need to find some company for it here). Any way, what can you do with old socks, playing cards, pieces of toys and even stray buttons? Find out at Every Day Life on a Shoe String.
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. ~~Timothy Leary
Sprucing Up The Home On A Budget
- While not ready to share with you yet, I have a couple of projects in my home needing fabric. The cheapest way I know of to purchase fabric is to buy large drop cloths, intending for painting. I tend to be a Plain Jane with my fabrics and then add the color in the accessories. It allows me to change things up quickly and easily with the seasons. Better Homes and Gardens has a helpful article on how to use drop clothes to make curtains and shower curtains.
- Have even more old jeans sitting around, you will be able to find something just perfect for you whether it’s a chevron pillow (great tutorial) to lampshades, rugs and so much more here.
- Have you ever signed a guest book? Or maybe you have a guest book people signed at an event for you. What ever happens to those guest books? I think the answer often is that the book gets packed away never to see the light of day. It becomes one more thing you need to store and can’t get rid of because it has sentimental value. Here are several ideas to creating a unique guest “book” that can become a treasured work of art for your home.
A study in the Washington Post say that women have better verbal skills than men. I just want to say to the authors of that study: “Duh” ~~ Conan O’brien
Just For Laughs
- I couldn’t stop laughing over the first and third photos here, while I love a good laugh, I’ve never found myself the creator of such wonderfully fun things.
- Ashley at Domestic Imperfection shared her favorite comments from her son this week. There is nothing like an innocent comment from a child to make my day especially when that child wants to talk about why his mom’s butt is so big :-)
- Some people can find humor just about anywhere, or maybe I should say some people create humor just about anywhere. Melanie found this when taking a walk with her dog.
- Satireday at Eco Crap lived up to its name this week, as usual in this definition of suburbs.
Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men. ~~ Joseph Conrad
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. ~~Robert A. Heinlein
Have a great weekend, everyone!